Welcome to Kingfishers - Year 3/4
Children in Kingfishers are taught by Mr Johnston. During our Enrich time, we will be studying music with Mrs Giblin and performing arts in conjunction with Premier Education.
We've been working hard on out Times Table Challenge and Place Value work in maths.
Termly Topic Information
Please view the newsletter below to gain an insight into what we are up to this term.
Topic Homework Ideas
Want to find out more about our Term 3 topic 'Mighty Metals'? Try some of the activities below.
- Go on a magnetic treasure hunt in your house. How many magnetic objects can you find? What materials are they made from? Research some of the tasks carried out by robots. What tasks do you think robots could do in the future? What jobs would you like a robot to do in your house? Ask your parents – they’re sure to have some ideas!
- Investigate the best surfaces at home for toy cars to travel on: carpet or a tiled floor? Measure the distance travelled on each type of surface and rank each one in order of effectiveness. Make a table or bar chart to show your results. Which force is acting to slow down and stop the cars from moving?
- Use non-fiction books and the web to find out about a metal of your choice. Write down your findings as a list of facts.
- Read stories and poems about robots. Choose your favourite, then write or film a review for your classmates.
- Design your perfect playground. What (real or imaginary) equipment would you include?
- Search the web to find artwork made using metal and make a collage or scrapbook of downloaded images.
- Learn to spell the names of some common metals such as iron, gold, platinum, lead and aluminium. Create anagrams for your friends and family to solve.
- Choose and find out all you can about a musical instrument made from metal. It could be an orchestral instrument or something more unusual. Create a presentation with photos and sound clips of your chosen instrument.
- Design and make a fridge magnet, either as a gift for someone or to commemorate a special event.
- Imagine… you wake up, and all the metal in the world has vanished! Write a story about your day. How is everyday life different without metal?
- Find out about King Midas and his golden touch.
To view detailed topic coverage for all areas of the curriculum please visit the curriculum page by clicking the link below.
To view the age related expectations including spellings lists click the link below.
To view guidance as to the strategies your child should be using in maths please click the link below and navigate to the CGCPS Maths Calculation Policy. Please note the year group bandings are guidance. For statutory strategies, please see the age related expectations documents linked above.